David Hartley’s Watermelon Run in Hempstead, TX will happen again in 2011. From David:
“We are expecting over 3,000 to attend this year. This years event will be a 5k walk/run/roll
I have locked in the following for our event:
• Freedom Flight will preform 20 min air show with 6 planes. Texas Army National Guard will provide skydivers this year.
• Hempstead Fire Department will provide criss cross water cannons again this year during National Anthem. Army Rangers will raise the flag this year in memory of my son. There will be an American flag and bio of every service man/woman KIA from Texas along the route.
• Marine Sgt. Eric Morante who was injured in Iraq, and lost his right leg will do the 5K and wear the boot of his fallen friend Robert Alexander Martinez.
Numerous wounded from San Antonio are expected to attend and run.
• The Texas Traveling Memorial Wall for OIF/OEF will be on display.
• Ziggy Moonshine and the Bootleggers Band will preform again this year. There will be a Missing Man presentation prior to roll call.
• We will release red/white/blue baloons this year with a photo and bio of each KIA from Texas. There will be numerous static displays from both the Army and Marines.
• Darby Ledbetter will perform at the close of our event this year. Darby is an active member of the Texas National Guard and carries the rank of Chief
Warrant Officer. Darby has deployed 5 times, and has lost 13 from his unit. He won an Emmy for a video called “I Won’t Let My Guard Down”.
• Ken Pridgeon who is 76 years old and a retired sign painter is painting a picture of my son and that picture will be on display at the event. Ken has taken it on himself to paint each of the fallen from Texas.
Article about last year’s 2010 run.